Glenwood Springs, CO – Recreation Area
Wulfsohn Mountain Park is a 215 acre open space above the Glenwood Meadows Shopping Center in Glenwood Springs, CO.
- No motorized vehicles
- Stay on the trail
- Keep right except to pass
- Bikes yield to walkers
- Keeps dogs on leash
- No smoking or fires
- Do not trespass on private property
- No camping
Julius Wulfsohn was a prosperous Glenwood Springs dry-goods merchant who purchased much of the land between Red Mountain and the south bank of the Colorado River from Walter and Mary Devereux in 1910.
Devereux, a prominent figure in Glenwood Springs history, had earlier developed the Glenwood Hot Springs resort and the Hotel Colorado during the late 1800s. An opulently furnished three-story brick mansion called “Cedarbank,” built by Captain E. E. Prey in about 1885, stood on the property for many years until is was destroyed in 1959.
The Wulfsohn family ranched and farmed here for several decades before selling the property to Union Oil, which planned to use its associated water rights for oil shale development near Parachute in the early 1980s.
In 2002, the property was deeded to the city as part of the approval of the nearby Glenwood Meadows development. In June of that year, much of the vegetation was burned off during the Coal Seam fire, which also destroyed several homes in west Glenwood Springs. Since then, much of the Gambel oak and other foliage have been growing back quickly. Soon, the charred trees on the upper slopes will be some of the only reminders of that event.”