Glenwood Springs, CO – Medium – 0.5 Miles – Hike, Run, Mountain Bike, Dog Friendly – Dirt
Pioneer Cemetery Trail, also known as the Doc Holliday Trail, is an intermediate/moderate trail you can hike, run, and mountain bike that is dog friendly. The Linwood Cemetery is the home of Doc Holliday’s Grave. This is a 0.5 mile dirt trail in Glenwood Springs, CO.
Glenwood Springs, CO – Medium – 0.5 Miles – Snowshoe, Run, Fat Bike, Dog Friendly – Snow
Pioneer Cemetery Trail, also known as the Doc Holliday Trail, is an intermediate/moderate winter trail you can snowshoe, run, and fat bike that is dog friendly. The Linwood Cemetery is the home of Doc Holliday’s Grave. This is a 0.5 mile winter trail in Glenwood Springs, CO.
Glenwood’s Pioneer Cemetery
Glenwood’s Oldest Established Cemetery
Linwood Cemetery is Glenwood Springs’ oldest existing cemetery and is known by several other names: Pioneer, Hill, Glenwood and Doc Holliday’s. The name Linwood has been used since the cemetery’s inception in 1886, although it has not yet been determined what significance it has, if any.
When the first white settlers arrived and decided to make Glenwood Springs their home, they used the area of 12th Street and Palmer Avenue (near this trailhead) as the city’s first burial ground. The land on the hill that would later become Linwood Cemetery was homesteaded in 1885.
In August of 1886, the Glenwood Cemetery Association was formed and Linwood Cemetery was developed. A notice appeared in the local newspaper, The Ute Chief, in November 1887, advertising lots for sale in the new cemetery.
“Families desiring to secure a place for the repose of their dead can now obtain the space from this organization. They have the only organized cemetery in the county. Their grounds adjoin the town of Glenwood Springs and are located on a mesa commanding one of the most charming views in the mountains. Funds received from the sale of lots after the payment of expenses, are to be devoted to the improvement of the grounds. Persons desiring to secure choice lots will address the undersigned. -H.T. Sale, Secretary”
Mr. Louis Schwarz, a local undertaker, was named trustee of the cemetery association and ran the day to day operations.
Due to health concerns raised by local doctors about bodies buried in the natural run-off zone that is now the 12th Street ditch, our city’s forefathers, in November of 1887, decided to move the bodies in the original burial ground to the newly-formed Linwood Cemetery. Citizens with family or friends in the old burial ground were asked to have the bodies moved to the new cemetery on the hill at their own expense. Everyone else was moved at the city expense. A fellow by the name of Mr. Hewson, who was employed as the town scavenger, was directed by the town council to reinter the bodies in the new cemetery. Just one day after the council ordered these bodies to be reburied, Glenwood’s most infamous resident, John H. “Doc” Holliday died and was buried in Linwood Cemetery.
In 1889, Undertaker Schwarz purchased the cemetery property from his colleagues and continued to manage the cemetery until his death in 1917, whereupon the property transferred to his brother, Jacob, who had succeeded him as undertaker. In 1939, the City of Glenwood Springs acquired the cemetery in a land deal which provided property for the city to locate their new water tanks. The City owns the cemetery property to this day.
When you visit the cemetery, please keep in mind:
- The trail to the cemetery is approximately a 1/2 mile moderately strenuous hike.
- Take water and rest frequently, if needed.
- No motorized vehicles are allowed.
- Please keep bikes on designated bike paths.
- Please pick up after yourself and your pets.
- This is bear country, please use the trash receptacles provided.
- Above all, please be mindful that this is a cemetery and treat it with respect.
Funding for this sign provided, in part, by a grant from the Glenwood Springs Rotary Clubs.
For more information on Glenwood Springs’ history, visit the Frontier Museum at 10th & Colorado.”