Connects: Rio Grande Trail, Emma Trail, Emma Store Buildings, East Sopris Creek Road (CR 7)
Basalt, CO – Historic Building
The Emma Schoolhouse is a one-room schoolhouse in the Emma area of Basalt, CO.
News about Emma can be found at:
The Aspen Times (March 13, 2014) – Aspen Times Weekly: The Story of Emma
This area was named for Emma Garrison who did the cooking for the construction crews and at the time the post office needed a name and it was designated, Emma. Robert Morrison built the first post office, a section house, water tank, large building as a mercantile store, deport, stockyards and home.
On July 12, 1909, W.L. Phillips sold for $1.00 to the Joint School District No. 3, a square of ground, 180.07 feet by 180.07 feet, for the school purposes. Joint School District No. 3 then erected and built a school house. The current school building was built in 1910-12 and local children living in the Emma area attended. The building was heated by a wood and coal burning stove, two outhouses and a shed for the horses. Classes began the middle of September, break for potato picking in October, and ended early in the Spring for students to resume ranching tasks. Grades 1-8 were taught in the one-room school building by one teacher.
In the Spring of 1948 the last classes were held at the Emma School house with Mrs. Kimuel as the teacher. Students in grades 1-12 were transported to the new school building at the Pitkin/Eagle County line in Basalt. On December 13, 1948, a deed from the School Board of Joint School District No. 3 granted the land and building to the Emma Community Trust signed by Floyd Beard and N.A. Dossigny.”